Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Blackboard

I met with all four of my students tonight for an hour, and then we went to the "meet and greet" that is held before the readthrough so that all the technical staff can meet all the actors and stage management. We were going to work more after, but I spoke with the designer today and she is not planning on making much of anything, so even though it will be big and a lot of work, it is not the same kind of work and it is easier to do with students because I am much more confident of my alterations/pulling/shopping work than my patternmaking.

The reason this post is called "Blackboard" is that I have decided to use our student online learning system for the students. They have created an "organization" which will live over the semesters where I can put information and tutorials. I originally thought I could do 2 per week, but that was overly ambitious, even for 15-20 minute tutorials. For some of them I am going to have to take and upload pictures as well, and even though I know blackboard well, it is a technically frustrating program from the instructor point of view.

I was able to prepare half a tutorial for today. It was on different types of sketches we get from designers which range from fully painted renderings, to uncolored sketches with notes and swatches, to collages, to what amounts to basically a pile of research. I was able to give examples of all of this in pictures, as well as pictures of the finished costumes.

One of my theories about doing costumes is that being a good costume shop manager/assistant is about a lot more than technical skill. In fact, I think people sometimes don't mind my lack of technical skill because I try to deeply understand the vision of the designer and how the designer works so I can try and balance their skills and emotions. So I work differently with different designers.

The first clue I usually get about how designers work are the sketches. Most of the time beautifully painted renderings mean that the designer is very sure of their vision, and wants my input on how to build it. A pile of research usually means that the designer is process oriented, and will need me to help them both build the vision, but also make sure that we make decisions in a timely manner. Sometimes, this is also dependent on the director as well, and there are certainly people who paint renderings who don't set them in stone, but in our level of theatre (usually just before people either make it or quit) but more times than not painted renderings mean that the costumes will not change much over the process.

I shared my insights in the tutorial as well. I think it is very important for students to be able to read who wants their input and suggestions and who does not. It is very uncomfortable when someone who is very sure of their vision and product oriented gets a suggestion of a completely different vision from student. On the other hand, designers who are process oriented really enjoy student perspectives on things, even if they ultimately do not choose to use their thoughts

Tonight we went through the tutorial together. I wanted feedback on how they liked it and if they would like more. I also wanted to observe them. They said they liked it, but I am not sure they should be doing it completely on their own time. Because of technical difficulties, they were 2 to a computer, and were able to have discussions on what they read. I think I will have them do their future tutorials together in the costume shop, just during the day without me there. Then they can ask me any questions in lab, but they can also discuss with each other what they don't understand. I also think it really helped that it took about 15 minutes. Any more would be annoying

The opinion was, however, that I should go ahead and make some more. So I will be putting my famous "what is a costume" lecture on-line. Hopefully by the end of the year I will have some good tutorials, and next year all I have to do is deploy them. I am also considering perhaps having each student do a simple tutorial on something they are learning as part of the learning process.

No comments:

Post a Comment